How To Cook Duck & Vegetables with Sous Vide Eggs
Sous Vide Egg Ingredients
- 1 pint of water
- Sous Vide Machine
- If you don't have a suvee, you can substitute by boiling your eggs for 6 mins on the stove at a low boil.
- 2 - 8 oz duck fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 4-6 small peppers
- 1 bunch of romaine lettuce
- 1 small chopped sweet potato (
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa.
Sous Vide your eggs
- If you don't have a sous vide, you can substitute by boiling your eggs for 6 minutes on the stove at a low boil.
1) First we are going to sous vide our eggs. Place your eggs in with your sous vide machine to begin the process of sous vide'ing. Let your eggs Sous Vide for 45 minutes. This particular Sous Vide machine has a mobile app which acts as a timer and notifies you when your eggs are done! We are making enough eggs to store in the fridge for a few days :)
Prep & cook your duck
- We recommend washing and drying off your duck before proceeding.
1) To begin we are going to "score" the duck. Because the duck is so fatty, scoring helps render the fat of the skin.
2) Add olive oil, salt & pepper to your duck.
- Cooking using a Ninja Grill - Bring your ninja grill to 400 degrees and cook your duck for 5 minutes.
- Cooking using an oven - First we recommend searing your duck on a frying pan. Place it skin-side down over medium-high heat for about 1 minute. Flip it over for about 30 seconds, then throw it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes with skin side down.
Bring your ninja grill to 400 degrees and then add your duck to your Ninja Grill. If using an oven, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees & cook for about 5 minutes. We are using a Ninja Grill which tells us when to add food
4) Once your duck is finished, pull it out of the ninja/oven and let your duck rest.
Prep & cook your vegetables
- We recommend to always wash your vegetables before cooking with them.
- We pre-cooked our sweet potato & quinoa before this recipe. If you have not done so, do so before beginning this recipe.
1) Start by applying olive oil, salt and pepper to all your veggies (including your romaine lettuce). We suggest using a bowl to ensure all sides get a healthy coating.
2) Put your vegetables in a small baking pan.
- Cooking using a Ninja Grill - Bring your ninja grill to 400 degrees and cook your Vegetables for 5 minutes. Given the small size of the Ninja, we will have to do the vegetables and romaine lettuce separately cooking each for 5 minutes.
- Cooking using an oven/gas grill - we recommend you either use a gas grill or to broil your vegetables for ~12 to 15 minutes. This will maintain a nice tasty char on the romaine lettuce.
Plate your dish
1) Always cut your duck skin side down (works the best that way). Cut your duck into thin slices.
2) Add a bed of quinoa.
3) Add over it your grilled romaine.
4) Add your vegetables on top and around.
5) Add your sweet potatoe around the border.
6) Add your duck around the perimeter of your dish.
7) Crack one of your sous vide eggs over the top. Try not to crack the yolk yet.
8) Add Salt & pepper on top.
9) Add some olive oil over the top.
10) Finish by gently slicing your sous vide egg down the middle to allow your egg to "run" while giving it a fantastic look.
& You're done!
- Ninja Grill
- 12" All Clad Fry Pan
- Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner
- Mini Oven Cooking Tray
- Acacia Wood Cutting Board
Let us know what you thought of this recipe :)
What is a sous vide machine? - A sous vide machines is commonly refferred to as a water ovens, It resembles a slow cooker in that it slowly heats water in a bowl. Sous vide'ing an egg is a cooking technique that professional chefs & restaurants use to deliver exact temperatures to deliver consistent, restaurant-quality results.